Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cross-Country Skiing in Massachusetts

As I've said before, I go through phases where I berate myself for never doing anything and decide I need a hobby or a skill or a membership or a cause. Since this often happens in the middle of the night, I am usually more or less fully recovered by morning. (The exception is The Couch-to-5K Debacle of January 2010. But I will spare you the heartbreak and awkwardness of that adventure.)

Anyway, it snowed last night and I feel like winter has started without me. My lawn furniture is still in the yard and we never even pulled the tomato plants from the garden, or mowed the lawn one last time. So here I am with my Lazy Person's Mocha (instant cocoa and instant coffee) listening to Josh Ritter and thinking it's time to do something fun this winter.

My friends have tried to get me to try downhill skiing, but I took a few lessons in middle school and I've fallen down in the snow enough since then that I know having slippery feet on purpose is not my thing. I prefer much more control over my momentum, especially in cold conditions. Which leaves me with cross-country skiing. I have loved it the times I tried it, but never seem to have the time/money/transportation/company I need often enough to make it a habit.

These are some of the best places for cross-country skiing that I have found in central/eastern Massachusetts:

  • Weston Ski Track off Rte 30 in Weston. They have 15 km of trails (how metric of them!) and sell trail passes and rental packages for $15 each for adults. The 3-day pass (any 3 days, not 3 in a row) for $39 looks like a good deal, as does evening skiing for $12.75. 
  • Great Brook Ski Touring Center in Carlisle is a little more out of the way, but is accessible from 495 or Route 2. It might be worth it though because their trail pass is $12 on weekends and $10 weekdays and evenings. Their adult ski rental package is $13. The season pass is only $60, but I'm not sure I could get up there at least 5 times to make it worthwhile.
  • Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation lists lots of state parks and forests with trails open for cross-country skiing, which works if you have your own equipment. Five dollars for parking, at most, gets you into any of these parks. 
Everything else was too far from Worcester, and not a good choice for snowy weather or exhausting activities. I guess this year I am limited to Great Brook or Weston, and maybe I'll find out I'm a skier and buy equipment for next year. Maybe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment